Sunday 24 June 2012

How to do 1940's pin up hair and make up


I adore old Hollywood movie stars. Their look was so classic, elegant and glamorous. Pin up Vargas girls in the 1940's exuded that same idea of beauty but with a bit of edge and sexiness. The secret to having a retro-inspired look is all about simplicity.






Last night I went to Bleecker St Cafe Bar for my boyfriends birthday. It was a night of yummy fajitas, live music from The Jigsaw Jam, copious amounts of captain morgans rum and great craic. I didn't have a lot of time to get ready but I decided I wanted to go for vintage hair and make up. This look does not take too long to complete.

I styled my hair into a sleek ponytail, winding hair around the ponytail to hide the hair tie. I used a curling wand on the fringe section on my hair then brushed it out and pinned it over my forehead, for a pin curl bed of hair to pin the hair flowers in to. It's important to brush the curls out to give them volume and keep to the vintage theme. A spritz of hairspray was used to set the style.





As for the complexion tone I was wearing a light coat of St. Moriz tan (a steal @ 4 eur in Penneys) so I kept my complexion matte and peachy - not too bronzed. I used lady danger lipstick by mac - my favorite lipstick in the world. It is what I would call a daytime red because it has a sort of coral undertone that means it's bright but not too red for a daytime look.

I used bronzer on the apples of my cheeks and used white eyeshadow on my eyelids and for contouring on my nose, below my eyebrow and above the bronzer on my cheeks. I have a tendency to do this when I wear paler make up as I think it makes for a more luminescent complexion.

As for the eyes, once I had applied white eyeshadow and lashings of black mascara I applied fake eyelashes and did a thin line of black liquid eyeliner above them on each eye, with a flick at the end.










Products I recommend for this look: foundation of your choice - keep it peachy and light, essence bronzer, essence white eyeshadow pallet, essence mascara,  essence black liquid eyeliner, Sarah Harding Girls Aloud fake eyelashes. I am a huge fan of essence products as they are not only the 2 eur - 4 eur price mark, but are great quality too.





Try this look at home and send 'Lipstick Gossip' your pictures in on Facebook!

Click here to find Lipstick Gossip on Facebook :-)







xo L

No comments:

Post a Comment