Sunday 24 March 2013

Clothes Encounter with Shahira Barry!

I caught up with model of the moment Shahira Barry who talks fashion, LA, the playboy mansion and what it’s like to be a model in Ireland. I was taken aback by not only how enviably gorgeous she is but how she is without a doubt a very talented lady. This fashionista/model/songstress has a lot to offer.


Shahira Barry

 Hi Shahira! What is your favorite item in your wardrobe?
 At the moment I'm loving my black high waisted Disco Pants  from nopolka.com -They're super stylish and flattering on-they look tight, almost like leather, but they're actually really comfortable and more like a legging material inside. 

Who is your style icon?
 Definitely Kim Kardashian. I love looking at her clothes and her makeup-she is always immaculate and I love that she is curvy and dresses to flaunt her curves-the day of the 'supper skinny' size zero look fanned by Paris Hilton etc. has definitely gone and I think that has a lot to do with the Kardashians coming on the scene. I don't think I have ever seen Kim wear one thing that I haven't liked. Her style is flawless and I am also a massive fan of bodycon herve leger dresses that Kim is often seen sporting and Shoulder padded blazers for a day time look.

What kind of an outfit would you wear on a night out? Is your daytime/night time look very varied?
 I LOVE bodycon dresses for nights out! I don't go out very often so when I do I like to go all out and get very dressed up. My day time look is extremely varied, I guess it depends what I'm doing, if I'm chilling around the house or walking around my local village I'll just wear sweats. You should see me in the gym I look dreadful! Around Galway I'd throw anything on really-jeans, comfy shoes and a cardigan. If I'm in Dublin I'm usual doing something connected with modeling so I'll be more dressed-up and wear heeled boots or shoes and jeans with a blazer. 

Shahira rocks a peplum belt

What do you think of the modeling industry in Ireland? How did you get started?
 My thoughts on the modeling industry in Ireland as a whole vary-In one way it's a lot easier to model in Ireland as the press-call circuit exists. I’ve found it doesn't really in other countries. Therefore it is easier to be a model as you don't have the same strict rules-such as height and size against you to be a press call model. However with that said it is still a difficult industry to break-especially if you don't know the right people who can guide and help you.You have to work extremely hard. I started by doing a one day modeling course with Absolute Studios back in April 2010 doing a course opened my mind into a world I knew nothing about and I just set my mind on it from that day on. 

Tell us a bit about your blog - what does it say about you?
 I started my blog as a bit of fun really. I like to write and I've been told I am good at giving people advice! So I thought it would be something to keep me busy in my spare time and I had no idea so many people would read it and it would do well. I never blog about celebrity gossip unless there's a moral to the story (for example I did do one blog on Kim K getting flour- bombed and how people should treat each other better) I like to stay away from any celebrity gossip but I blog about modeling, fashion, makeup, fitness, music and my life in general.  My favourite blog so far was an interview I did with hip-hop manager to the stars Steve Lobel. I am a big hip-hop head and Steve is an iconic manager who has worked with everyone from back in the day artists such as Biggie, Run DMC and Tupac to modern day Sean Kingston, Iyaz and Mann to name a few. I definitely don't limit my blog to one thing you can find anything on there! but what I'd like it to say about me is that I'm an approachable person who likes to give as honest an opinion as I can on the topics I blog about. 

What has been the highlight of your career to date?
 I think that the highlight of my career so far has definitely been traveling to Los Angeles! I had the time of my life! I was at the playboy mansion a couple of times during my visit-which was amazing! and I hungout with Akon on set of his new music video which was being filmed in a BelAir mansion. I am dying to get back to the US and do some proper work for a longer period of time.

Hugh Hefner and Shahira Barry
What are your ambitions for the future?
 I am an extremely ambitious person and I believe the sky is the limit. I want to continue doing as much modeling as I can but also a lot more singing, dancing and acting. I was recently approached to do my own single with producer Dav Nagle from Popstar studios-So I'm looking forward to getting in the studio and seeing how that will go. Being on stage is what I've dreamed about since I was a little girl.  

What is your ideal man like? Is he stylish?
 My ideal man- Tall (but not too tall: taller than me will do) and handsome. Stylish is a plus but I don't like guys who take it overboard such as ‘Geordie shores-eyebrows thinner than my own’ with Man- manicures and fake tan-that is not for me! I like a man to be manly! I love guys who are into music-if they sing/rap they had me at hello! But if they don't then I hope we like the same type of music. A guy who dresses nice is important but honestly for me its more about the way he treats me. I'm definitely not a girl who falls for the 'treat them mean' thing-If a guy isn't nice to me I'm over it. I won't like him at all. A sense of humour is very important too.

Where do you shop? Do you have a particular brand you always go back to?
 I'm lucky because lately I get a lot of things sent to me-to blog about/wear etc... that is definitely the best thing about modeling. I'm not a brand girl I'll literally shop anywhere! Don't get me wrong I like brands as much as the next person but I'm not too fussy. My motto with clothes is it doesn't matter where it's from if it's nice I'll wear it, if it's not I won't. Something brought in Brown Thomas won't make me like it, I might prefer a dress brought in Penneys over a designer dress, It just depends on the item in question. 

What advice would you give to young people who aspire to be models?
 Do it because it's what YOU want to do! not because it's the it thing to do, or you want to be able to say your a model. Do it because you have a desire to do it and not to impress others. Its a difficult industry. You will hear a lot of rejection in many forms, so you have to have a really thick skin and just be confident and believe in yourself.  

Who has been the most inspirational person you have met?
My mum inspires me every day-She's a single parent and she has brought me and my sister up through difficult circumstances unbelievably well! I owe everything to her-She is my best friend and she encourages and helps me in every way.  

If you want to hear more about Assets model Shahira and check out what she is up to her facebook is http://www.facebook.com/Shahira.Barry and you can follow her on twitter @ShahiraBarry. 

She is hitting the recording studio to do her own song very soon so keep your ears peeled, without fail Shahira Barry has a very bright future ahead of her.



xo L

If you are in a band, have a company/shop/business/website, are a model, actress, performer, media worker or entertainer and would like to feature on the 'Clothes Encounter' segment on Lipstick Gossip please email me on : lipstickgossippodcast@gmail.com or Facebook mail me on www.facebook.com/lipstickgossip



No comments:

Post a Comment